Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tiny the Turtle

Saturday evening, one of my brothers found this little guy~~


My family was at an "end of the year" celebration, that our local homeschool group was hosting, when my brother almost stepped on the little guy.  Just sitting on the asphalt, in the middle of a parking lot, getting scorched to death!


As you can see, he has a very unique pattern on his shell...to me it looks like a little like layers of clay rolled together. Even the bottom half! 





After researching several websites about turtles, found in Kentucky, trying to figure out what kind he was and coming up empty handed, I decided to contact the Ky Department of Fish and Wildlife.  Having taken some photos and emailing them this morning, I received a prompt reply from Mr. John MacGregor, a Herpetologist with the Dept of Fish and Wildlife.






Mr. MacGregor, explained that my little guy was a hatchling, red-eared slider and that he was a little odd since he did  not have the red markings behind his eyes.  Right now Tiny is about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide, but could grow to be 10 inches long and weigh several pounds.  They are fairly common in central to western Ky and normally live in farm ponds, lakes and river backwaters.
He said that Red-Ears used to be popular pets and that the young ones do well in aquariums.

My little sister calls it her baby, so I guess we'll try keeping it as a pet for a little while.  Once he gets to big to live in the aquarium we will turn him loose in one of the local farm ponds. 






1 comment:

  1. Hey Audrey! Glad I found your blog! :) Ive got one too over at www.theoritzs.blogspot.com :) I've joined and am following :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete